Meet and Greet Volunteer
Volunteers, with their distinctive red coats, are one of the first Museum representatives the public has contact with upon entering the building. A very important position, the MEET AND GREET VOLUNTEER's primary function is to be an instant, welcoming resource to our guests, thereby instilling a positive first indication of what guests can expect from their visit. Most importantly, they must be knowledgeable enough to assist guests. Volunteers will greet visitors and be prepared to answer a variety of questions pertaining to directions, schedules and prices. Meet and Greet Volunteers will be assigned to, but not limited to, primary zones in order to perform this function.
- Welcoming guests in a warm and friendly way
- Directing guests to general exhibit areas and amenities
- Answering questions about pricing, shows and times
- Orienting guests to the "Your Visit Today" schedule and signage
- Helping with proper entering/exit traffic and policies
- Assisting with basic lobby operations; obtaining wheelchairs/scooters; recruiting participants for Museum survey
- Answering general questions about local way finding
- Optional use of Segways in covering your zone(s)
- Minimum age requirement of 16 years old
- Enjoy meeting/speaking to public in large numbers
- Maintain pleasant attitude under stress
- Neat personal appearance
- Confidence working with public
- Ability to stand or walk for duration of shift
- Customer service experience helpful but not required
- Bilingual ability helpful but not necessary
*Must be able to volunteer for one of the following regular 3.5 hour shifts per week (includes a 30-minute break):
9:30am-1:00pm Shift available: Monday, Thursday, and Sunday
1:00pm-4:30pm Shift available: Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
*During public school vacation weeks, our weekday volunteers would ideally have the flexibility to switch to a 9:30am-1:00pm or 1:00pm-4:30pm schedule. During these peak attendance periods, all volunteers would ideally be able to add one extra shift (9:30am-1:00pm or 1:00pm-4:30pm) to their schedules as well.
*Must commit to volunteering for a 4 to 6 month period.
Supervised by Information Desk Coordinator, Tuesday-Saturday, and Information Specialist, Sunday-Monday. Overall management of program by Manager of Science Central.
- Must participate in a New Volunteer Orientation session (daytime and evening sessions will be offered)
- Must also be able to attend Guest Service Workshop training
- Daily briefings at start of shift
- Possible Segway Training for those interested
- Ongoing training where appropriate provided by Coordinator
How To Apply
Become part of our volunteer team! To apply, please print the appropriate volunteer application below, complete it, and mail it to our Office of Volunteer Services:
Mail to:Office of Volunteer Services Museum of Science Science Park Boston, MA 02114-1099
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Museum of Science seeks to recruit, hire, develop, promote, and retain individuals from racially and culturally diverse backgrounds and persons with disabilities. We strive to create and sustain a more affirming environment for all staff, interns, volunteers, trustees and overseers. We value expertise gained at the Museum and encourage professional development and career growth.