Hands-On Laboratory Volunteer Interpreter
The Hands-On Laboratory is a fun, interactive learning laboratory program that encourages visitors of all ages to explore a variety of topics in the sciences — from chemistry to genetics to nanotechnology to archaeology — using many of the same tools and techniques as real scientists. Our goal is to engage visitors in laboratory investigations that encourage them to develop the skills of scientific inquiry, engineering design, and mathematics.
Laboratory staff, volunteers, and interns work together to make visitor experiences rich, exciting, and safe. Volunteers may find themselves welcoming visitors to the lab, guiding visitors as they explore an activity station, or helping to enforce appropriate safety practices at each of the stations
- Offer great guest service by answering visitors’ questions, sharing knowledge of the Museum's offerings, and striving to ensure that each visitor's experience is enjoyable.
- Create a safe and welcoming environment for learning by greeting visitors with enthusiasm, responding to their individual needs and interests, and modeling appropriate behaviors for a laboratory setting.
- Engage visitors in activities that get them excited about science and technology and encourage them to use science inquiry, engineering design, and mathematics skills.
- Assist in Laboratory program setup and breakdown
- Attend weekly briefings at the beginning of each volunteer shift and participate in ongoing training and interpretation skill development
- At least 14 years of age
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Interest in science, engineering, and/or education and a motivation to learn more
- Demonstrated enthusiasm, initiative, and reliability
- Willingness to work with visitors of all ages and levels of interest or ability
- One 3.5-hour shift per week for at least four to six months.
- Shifts are currently available for Fridays
- Attend a New Volunteer Orientation session.
- Complete a department-specific Museum orientation and a program of Laboratory orientation and training, including basic Laboratory operation and safety, during first 2 months of regular volunteer shifts
- Work with Museum staff during regular shifts to learn program activity stations and develop interpretation skills.
- Participate in weekly briefing activities and discussions at the beginning of each volunteer shift
© 1996-2015 Museum of Science, Boston – All rights reserved.