Professional Development Provider, Engineering is Elementary
DescriptionThe Professional Development Provider is part of a dynamic, creative team that creates and delivers best of class professional development for a national elementary engineering curriculum. The successful candidate’s position is a blend of development of new workshops, activities and resources for teachers and professional development delivery. While this position requires travel, on average you will be expected to travel overnight five nights or less per month. This is an excellent opportunity for an educator with 1 – 3 years of teaching or professional development experience to work within a team to hone pedagogy and delivery skills, and to participate in and lead teams that design and create materials and activities for a growing set of professional development offerings.
Department SummaryThe Engineering is Elementary (EiE) project aims to foster engineering and technological literacy among children. EiE is creating a research-based, standard driven, and classroom-tested curriculum that integrates engineering and technology concepts and skills with elementary science topics. EiE lessons not only promote K-12 science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learning, but also connect with literacy and social studies. Storybooks featuring children from a variety of cultures and backgrounds introduce students to an engineering problem. Students are then challenged to solve a problem similar to that faced by the storybook character. Through a hands-on engineering design challenge, students work in teams to apply their knowledge of science and mathematics; use their inquiry and problem-solving skills; and tap their creativity as they design, create, and improve possible solutions. In the end, students realize that everyone can engineer!
- Professionally deliver professional development workshops to increase educators' ability to and confidence in teaching engineering to their elementary students and to increase the presence of EiE in schools nationwide, representing best practices in engineering/science education via EiE pedagogy.
- Assist in the creation of materials, products and services that are conceptually aligned with EiE philosophy to ensure continuity of project's goals and quality. Produce finished products that are market ready.
- Participate in generating new ideas for resources and provide support for grant proposals to insure program is funded and growing.
- Disseminate the EiE program and products through presentations, documents and workshops so as to assist in reaching potential clients, funders, and collaborators
- Provide excellent customer service and outreach
- Serve as needed on team projects within the division and Museum
- Bachelors of Science or Arts and additional course work preferred
- 1-3 years of teaching/professional development experience
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to deliver in a results oriented culture
- Ability to travel on average 5 days per month
- Demonstrated track record in presentation and group leadership skills
- Science or engineering content knowledge preferred
This position is full-time, 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday. This position may also travel on average 5 days/month.
Exempt (Salaried). Commensurate with experience.
Benefits and Perks
How To Apply
In order to be considered for a position, please email email@example.com with the following:
- The exact position title in the subject line
- A resumé and cover letter
Emails are preferred and can be processed more quickly. However, we are also able to accept cover letters and resumés by mail or fax if necessary:
Mail to:Human Resources Museum of Science Science Park Boston, MA 02114
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Museum of Science seeks to recruit, hire, develop, promote, and retain individuals from racially and culturally diverse backgrounds and persons with disabilities. We strive to create and sustain a more affirming environment for all staff, interns, volunteers, trustees and overseers. We value expertise gained at the Museum and encourage professional development and career growth.