Summer Planetarium Presenter Internship
The Planetarium intern will join staff in presenting pre-recorded and/or live interactive shows to the public. The intern will learn to operate the technical equipment in the Planetarium, learn and practice strategies on explaining scientific theory, and develop teaching skills.
The Charles Hayden Planetarium has been educating families, school groups and the general public about astronomy since 1958. The recently renovated, 209-seat round state-of-the-art fulldome theater uses a Zeiss Starmaster ZMP star projector, Sky-Skan Definiti 4K projection technology with Digital Sky 2 software, and special lighting effects for use in planetarium programming.
- Present Planetarium programs to the public.
- Learn and explain abstract topics in an easy-to-understand way.
- Perform office duties, and assist the Planetarium staff as needed.
- Learn and perform basic operation of Planetarium equipment and technology, including routine maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Undergraduate or graduate student or career changer.
- Astronomy or space science-related coursework and interest in science education preferred.
- Possess strong communication and public-speaking skills.
- Comfortable addressing large crowds.
- Ability to explain abstract-topics in an easy-to-understand way.
- Experience using computer technology and audio-visual equipment.
- Enjoy working with children and the general public.
- Ability to work with a team and independently.
Hours / Days Per Week
21 hours/week, one weekend day required. Up to 35 if required by an academic program.
$8.00 - $8.25/hour
Summer 2014 (May/June - August)
How To Apply
In order to be considered for an internship, please email the internship program coordinator with the following:
- The exact internship position title in the subject line
- A cover letter detailing your interest in and relevant experience related to a specific internship position
- A resumé that includes contact information of three references
You may apply for multiple positions; please send a separate email with a tailored cover letter for each position. Emails are preferred and can be processed more quickly. However, we are also able to accept cover letters and resumés by mail or fax if necessary:
Mail to:Internship Program Coordinator Museum of Science Science Park Boston, MA 02114
617-589-0362 (FAX) email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Museum of Science seeks to recruit, hire, develop, promote, and retain individuals from racially and culturally diverse backgrounds and persons with disabilities. We strive to create and sustain a more affirming environment for all staff, interns, volunteers, trustees and overseers. We value expertise gained at the Museum and encourage professional development and career growth.