Director, Information Technology
DescriptionThe Information Technology Director will hold a critical role in the Museum of Science as we continue to evolve our back-end business systems and the infrastructure supporting our front-end digital experiences. As the Museum continues to evolve its digital infrastructure and rapidly produces an increasing amount of digital-born assets the Information Technology Director will be joining us at a critical juncture in this institution’s long and successful history. This position will work very closely with the Associate Vice President, Information and Interactive Technology (IIT) in strategic planning and serve as the primary director for all operational aspects of the IT Team at the Museum of Science.
The ideal candidate will be an extremely organized and efficient IT project portfolio manager with excellent communication skills. The ability to juggle many competing priorities, allocate resources accurately and efficiently, and communicate transparently to all stakeholders is imperative. While not primarily a hands-on role, the IT Director will need to accurately assess the work and efficiency of other senior network and systems administrators, provide direct guidance and troubleshooting and when required be able to perform hands-on responsibilities in these areas. The Director will be expected to keep current with all technologies under their direction and pursue professional development opportunities that ensure an ongoing expertise.
We seek a proactive teacher, mentor, and leader to help shape the next generation of digital technologies and IT staff for the Museum of Science. For this reason we seek those passionate not only about information technologies, but the applications of these technologies to informal learning environments.
- Approximately 11 direct reports (5 Systems Administrators, 1 Personal Productivity Supervisor, and 5 personal productivity technicians)
- Maintain and evolve an IT infrastructure currently consisting of approximately 110 (mostly virtualized) servers, 450 desktop computers, and 700 users.
- Rolling project portfolio of approximately 20 concurrent projects
- Management of 3-4 major projects per year, or as strategy/priorities dictate
- Bachelors of Science or Arts and additional course work preferred.
- More than five years of IT management experience.
- Thorough to expert knowledge of the following:
- Network technologies including switching, routing, intrusion detection and prevention, and firewall administration (Cisco strongly preferred)
- Windows and Linux server administration
- Windows desktop operating systems and applications
- Storage environment administration (NAS/SAN)
- Business continuity/disaster recovery planning and implementation
- Database administration
- Server virtualization technologies (VMWare)
- Auditing and monitoring processes and software solutions
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards and Massachusetts Privacy Laws
This position is full-time, 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday.
Exempt (Salaried). Commensurate with experience.
Benefits and Perks
How To Apply
In order to be considered for a position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- The exact position title in the subject line
- A resumé and cover letter
Emails are preferred and can be processed more quickly. However, we are also able to accept cover letters and resumés by mail or fax if necessary:
Mail to:Human Resources Museum of Science Science Park Boston, MA 02114
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Museum of Science seeks to recruit, hire, develop, promote, and retain individuals from racially and culturally diverse backgrounds and persons with disabilities. We strive to create and sustain a more affirming environment for all staff, interns, volunteers, trustees and overseers. We value expertise gained at the Museum and encourage professional development and career growth.