Hall of Human Life Exploration Hub Volunteer
DescriptionThe Hall of Human Life, a new 10,000-square-foot exhibition set to open in November, aims to revolutionize how people understand their own biology by investigating how humans change over time in our dynamic environments. Visitors will be able to take fifteen unique personal measurements, and their actual data will be central to telling the exhibition's stories. Hall of Human Life volunteers will interpret through demonstrations at the Exploration Hub and around the exhibition, topics that cover Hall of Human Life themes about how humans have changed and are changing in a fluctuating environment.
Position SummaryDo you have a background and/or experience in Human Biology? Volunteers will learn a wide variety of different demonstrations of anatomy, physiology, animal models and genetics, to illustrate the human variability and all the ways that environments impact that variability. Volunteers who are eager to learn about human biology and health will acquire the necessary knowledge to be able to stimulate the curiosity of visitors of any age or background.
- Through demonstrations communicate the goals and messages of the Hall of Human Life specifically and the Museum Mission in general.
- Volunteers will attend half hour professional development sessions that occur during the first half hour of each weekly shift to maintain familiarity and learn new interpretations, new exhibits in the Hall of Human Life, new exhibits in the Museum, science teaching methods, and general science topics.
- Exercise good customer service by sharing knowledge of the Museum's offerings, answering questions and striving to ensure that each visitor's experience is enjoyable.
- Welcome visitors and facilitate their use of the exhibits throughout the Hall of Human Life.
- Familiarity with computers and Google Docs along with other technologies used to deliver content
- Interest in human biology, human health issues, and evolution
- Commitment to informal science education
- Excellent communication skills, which includes public speaking
- Initiative, enthusiasm and reliability
CommitmentA minimum commitment of six months, one 3.5 hour shift per week. Volunteer positions are available seven days a week. Shift choices: morning shift 9:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. or afternoon shift 12:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
TrainingVolunteers will spend their first eight to ten shifts learning 3-4 demonstrations, which include equipment and content. Attendance at the New Volunteer Orientation session is required
How To Apply
Become part of our volunteer team! To apply, please print the appropriate volunteer application below, complete it, and mail it to our Office of Volunteer Services:
Mail to:Office of Volunteer Services Museum of Science Science Park Boston, MA 02114-1099
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Museum of Science seeks to recruit, hire, develop, promote, and retain individuals from racially and culturally diverse backgrounds and persons with disabilities. We strive to create and sustain a more affirming environment for all staff, interns, volunteers, trustees and overseers. We value expertise gained at the Museum and encourage professional development and career growth.