Eye Opener Volunteer
For more than 25 years, the Museum of Science Eye Opener Program has been working with the Boston Public Schools to bring the exciting world of science to second grade students from across the city. Each year, approximately 3000 students from over 45 Boston schools visit the Museum to explore, ask questions, and find answers. Since 1986, generosity from the Germeshausen Family Foundation has supported the Eye opener program in providing a guided museum experience for second graders.
With the help of a large corps of volunteers, the program introduces these students to the Museum and gives them a chance to engage in science. Eye Opener volunteers encourage exploration and the excitement of discovery as they share the Museum with the children. They achieve these goals through conversation, hands on experimentation, exploration of exhibits, and practicing scientific thinking skills with program participants.
Each Tuesday morning, the students are grouped into sets of 4 to 6 with a pair of volunteers who give them a tour of the Museum. Tours last approximately two hours and tailored to the interests of the students.
Learn the lay-out of the Museum to share and explore with second graders the exhibits which may be interesting to them.
- Encourage children to observe, compare, describe, ask questions and expand and share ideas.
- Know Museum emergency and safety procedures.
- Attend ongoing training and support through weekly in-service workshops on science or program-related topics.
- Mentor the Eye Opener High School volunteers.
- Work in close collaboration with a diverse and committed group of volunteers.
- Patience, sensitivity, and understanding of youth
- Willingness to work with young children and high school students of all backgrounds and abilities
- Interest in informal science education
- Four to six month commitment
- Tuesday mornings (9:30-12:30) throughout the school year
TrainingAttendance at the New Volunteer Orientation session is required.
- Continuous in-service training and briefings
- Shadowing more experienced volunteers
How To Apply
Become part of our volunteer team! To apply, please print the appropriate volunteer application below, complete it, and mail it to our Office of Volunteer Services:
Mail to:Office of Volunteer Services Museum of Science Science Park Boston, MA 02114-1099
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Museum of Science seeks to recruit, hire, develop, promote, and retain individuals from racially and culturally diverse backgrounds and persons with disabilities. We strive to create and sustain a more affirming environment for all staff, interns, volunteers, trustees and overseers. We value expertise gained at the Museum and encourage professional development and career growth.